Thanks to Amore Coffee for their support.
Here’s a look at the Thompson and Oakdale intersection on the east side of West St. Paul in 1961 and today.
The open pasture seen in 1961 eventually became the Thompson Oaks golf course in the 1990s. The big house in the distance is the George Wentworth house, built in 1887—the only West St. Paul home on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today the Wentworth house is hidden by trees, though the clubhouse for the former Thompson Oaks golf course is visible. The beginning of construction can be seen in the distance on the far right as the former golf course is developed. Currently the Westlyn apartments are under construction. There are also plans for townhomes on the eastern edge of the golf course. Dakota County is seeking grants to fund a watershed reclamation project for the middle area.
This intersection will change a lot more in the next few years with a coming roundabout, tentatively scheduled for 2023.
We need your help to dig into local history. Support West St. Paul Reader.
The house on the corner. Was on Robert Street behind the A&W. Can’t remember what year Tom Stassen moved it.