West St. Paul City Council had an extremely short meeting that focused on appointments to the Environmental Committee.
During the Open Council Work Session (OCWS), City Council interviewed five applicants for four seats on the Environmental Committee. This is a new process after City Council revamped the committee appointment process. The interview portion of the OCWS meeting, while open to the public, was not broadcast. The city didn’t want to put applicants on the spot with an interview on live TV.
After the interviews, Council members ranked their top four choices and the applicants who received the most votes were appointed during the regular meeting. The new members on the Environmental Committee are:
- Cindy Joanning
- Constance LaCombe
- Elizabeth Pearson
- Joshua Przybylski
Congratulations to the new committee members and a big thank you to everyone who applied.
Other Items on the Agenda:
- University of Minnesota partnership: A University of Minnesota class on problem solving for environmental change is looking to partner with the city for a class project. During the OCWS, Council discussed the proposal and offered suggestions for potential environmental projects the class could study. Both the Environmental Committee and Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee will weigh in with their input as this partnership moves forward.
- Discussion with police: Council Member Lisa Eng-Sarne let people know about a Community Roundtable Discussion with Police Chief Brian Sturgeon happening at Harmon Park on Tuesday, July 13 at 6 p.m.
- Movie in the Park: Council Member Robyn Gulley reminded everyone that Movie in the Park is coming to Harmon Park this Friday with Trolls World Tour.
- Butler Avenue Trail study: Council Member Julie Eastman mentioned an upcoming community meeting about the Butler Avenue Trail study happening at Thompson Park on July 27. There’s also an online survey to offer input.
- Night to Unite: Several Council members plugged the upcoming Night to Unite on August 3. If you’d like to participate, the deadline to sign up is July 19.
Ward 2 Council Members Robyn Gulley and John Justen have started sharing their own recap of Council meetings in video form on Facebook.
We’re able to do these City Council recaps thanks to your support.