Thanks to Cherokee Service for their support.
Anton Meyer came to West St. Paul in 1883 from Bavaria and became one of West St. Paul’s first contractors and builders. He built his family home at 1051 Stryker Avenue and built a structure next to it for his business. His son later expanded the building to include a grocery store on the ground floor and apartments above.
That building on the corner of Stryker and Arion housed a succession of businesses, including Meyer Grocery, Philip Simon’s Meat Market, Becker Grocery (as pictured here in 1961), and finally Blue Trunk, a used clothing and costume shop that catered to area theater productions in the 1970s.
In May 1982, the corner buildings were demolished, revealing the original Meyer carpentry storefront. The brick facade was left standing for a few days for the neighborhood to marvel at.
Today, nearly 40 years after the buildings on the corner were demolished, the corner still remains vacant. The Anton Meyer home at 1051 Stryker is still in the family.
We need your help to dig into local history. Support West St. Paul Reader.