Thanks to Mike’s Butcher Shop for their support. Hosting a dinner party? Simply looking for something quick and easy? From fresh cuts to grill-ready kabobs, you’ll find everything you need at Mike’s.
Since 1889, 30 different people have served as mayor of West St. Paul. Here’s a rundown of all mayors over the years, including years elected and dates of their service.
|1||Philip Crowley (1819-1902)||Feb. 23 1889-Sept. 5, 1891||elected by Council in 1889, 1891||First mayor; Oldest mayor; Resigned|
|2||James McGrath (1848-?)||Oct. 3, 1891-May 1893||Appointed to fill out Crowley’s term|
|3||Hartwig Deppe (1835-1904)||June 1893-May 1895||1893|
|4||Joseph Hermann Sr. (?-?)||(no photo)||June 1895 to May 1897||1895|
|5||James H. Berry (1856-1935)||(no photo)||June 1897-April 15, 1901||1897, 1899,||Resigned|
|6||John B. Sperl (1872-?)||April 15, 1901-May 1901||Appointed to fill out Berry’s term|
|7||James J. Galvin (1867-?)||June 1901-May 1903||1901|
|8||John B. Sperl (1872-?)||June 1903-May 1905||1903|
|9||John Licha (1859-1947)||June 1905-May 1907||1905|
|10||John F. Galvin (1866-1927)||June 1907-Dec. 1910||1907, 1909|
|11||Joseph Gibis (1866-1928)||Jan. 1911-Dec. 1916||1910, 1912, 1914|
|12||John B. Sperl (1872-?)||Jan. 1917-Dec. 1918||1916|
|13||James A. Hurley (1881-1937)||(no photo)||Jan. 1919-Dec. 1920||1918|
|14||William A. Stassen (1873-1962)||Jan. 1921-Dec.1922||1920|
|15||Joseph Gibis (1866-1927)||Jan. 1923-Dec. 1926||1922, 1924|
|16||William A. Stassen (1873-1962)||Jan. 1927-Dec. 1930||1926, 1928|
|17||Louis C. Gydesen (1896-1970)||Jan. 1931-Dec. 1936||1930, 1932, 1934|
|18||Rocco Verderosa (1901-1960)||Jan. 1937-Dec. 1940||1936, 1938|
|19||Edmond C. Meisinger Sr. (1900-1988)||Jan. 1941-Dec. 1942||1940|
|20||Rocco Verderosa (1906-1960)||Jan. 1943-Dec. 1946||1942, 1944|
|21||John V. Sperl (1895-1970)||Jan. 1947-Dec. 1956||1946, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1954|
|22||Anthony Vitelli (1916-1997)||Jan. 1957-Dec. 1958||1956|
|23||Arnold E. Kempe (1927-)||Jan. 1959-Jan. 24, 1963||1958, 1960, 1962||Resigned|
|24||Edwin J. Chapple (1904-1965)||Jan. 1963-Dec. 1964||Appointed to fill out Kempe’s term|
|25||Robert J. Callahan (1927-?)||Jan. 1965-Dec. 1966||1964|
|26||Rollin H. Crawford (1940-)||Jan. 1967-Dec. 1970||1966, 1968|
|27||James R. Husman (1945-2017)||Jan. 1971-Jan. 10, 1972||1970||Youngest mayor; Resigned|
|28||Robert J. Callahan (1927-?)||Jan. 13, 1972-Dec. 1972||Appointed to fill out Husman’s term|
|29||Edmond C. Meisinger Jr. (1936-2020)||Jan. 1973-Dec. 1979||1972, 1975, 1977|
|30||Kenneth H. Kube (1940-)||Jan. 1980-Dec. 1988||1979, 1981, 1983, 1986|
|31||Michael P. Bisanz (1955-)||Jan. 1989-Dec. 2000||1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998||Longest serving mayor|
|32||David Meisinger (1967-)||Jan. 2001-Dec. 2002||2000|
|33||Kevin J. Finnegan (1952-)||Jan. 2003-Dec. 2004||2002|
|34||John Zanmiller (1967-)||Jan. 2005-Dec. 2014||2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012|
|35||David Meisinger (1967-)||Jan. 2015-Dec. 2016||2014|
|36||Jenny Halverson (1976-)||Jan. 2017-Dec. 2018||2016||First female mayor|
|37||David Napier (1959-)||Jan. 2019-present||2018, 2020|
West St. Paul Mayoral Factoids
Here are some quick factoids about West St. Paul mayors:
- Number of people who have served as mayor: 30
- First mayor: Philip Crowley (1889)
- First female mayor: Jenny Halverson (2017)
- Oldest mayor: Philip Crowley (1889)
- Youngest mayor: James Husman (1971)
- Longest-serving mayor: Michael Bisanz (six terms, 1989-2000)
- Shortest-serving mayor: James Husman (one year, 1971-1972) (John B. Sperl served a shorter term of eight and a half months, but he went on to serve two more terms)
- Resigned: Four mayors have resigned while in office—James Husman (1972), Arnold Kempe (1963), James Berry (1901), and Philip Crowley (1891).
- Nonconsecutive terms: Six mayors have served nonconsecutive terms—David Meisinger (2001-2002 & 2015-2016), Robert Callahan (1965-1966 & 1972), Rocco Venderosa (1937-1940 & 1943-1946), William Stassen (1921-1922 & 1927-1930), Joseph Gibis (1911-1916 & 1923-1926), and John B. Sperl (1901, 1904-1905, & 1917-1918).
- In the family: Several families have served as mayor, including the father-son combos of Edmund C. Meisinger Sr. and Edmund C. Meisinger Jr.; and John B. Sperl and John V. Sperl.
- Appointed: Only two people have served as mayor without ever being elected mayor—James McGrath and Edwin Chapple. Robert Callahan and John B. Sperl were also appointed to mayor but they were either previously or later elected as mayor.
- Higher office: Only two West St. Paul mayors went on to serve in higher office—Arnold Kempe served as a Minnesota state representative from 1975 to 1978 and John V. Sperl served as a Dakota County commissioner from 1957 to 1970. (James McGrath also served in the Minnesota state legislature, but that was before his time as mayor.)
- Council first: Eight mayors served without being elected to council first—John Galvin, William Stassen, Edmund C. Meisinger Sr., Arnold Kempe, Robert J. Callahan, Rollin Crawford, Edmund C. Meisinger Jr., and Michale Bisanz.
We’re able to offer historical details like these thanks to the support of our members. Join through Patreon to support local news.
(Thanks to the City of West St. Paul and the Dakota County Historical Society for mayor photos. West St. Paul Reader is not endorsed, affiliated with, or sponsored by the City of West St. Paul. Note: Historical dates and info are confirmed to the best of our ability, though in many cases the historical record is nonexistent, spotty, or inconsistent. We always welcome additional info and research.)